Tuesday, May 28, 2013

How I Learned to Crawl

from below the Dragon
dark comes forth,
Nidhogg flying
from Nithafjoll;
the bodies of men on
his wings he bears,
the serpent bright ... (translated by Henry Adams Bellows)

I've post this poem (How I Learned to Crawl) before on this blog and old geocities website, but I'm going to post it again, as it bears relevance to the above transformation as described in Voluspa in the Poetic Edda.

when i was a baby, i was left alone
in the middle of the living room floor
unable to crawl
but but i could sit up - yippeee!
and then, curiosity made another move
wondering, what if
i turn this way and that, oops!
what did i do?
looking at the floor wondering how to move
without falling .. falling? what say you?
you knew how to crawl, you knew
how to make all the right moves
lifting my knees, my hands, shifting my weight
with the movements, one after another
until i got the feel of it
and you taught me to crawl
so i would not fall, so i would not fall
so i would not fall
you taught me to crawl

No comments:

Dare to be true to yourself.